This park houses the offices of the Winnebago County Conservation Board and is truly a "multiple use" area. It contains a wetland that is popular with waterfowl hunters in the fall, and 15-area Lake Catherine, which provides a quiet fishing spot year-round. Much of the park is made up of an oak-hickory savanna with numerous prairie areas. Trumpeter swans often nest at the park, and the area is also popular with family campers and picnickers. A rental cabin along the lake is open all year and provides an excellent getaway, as well! (Rates for the cabin are $61.00/weeknight and $77.00/Friday and Saturday nights. Check the Lake Catherine Cabin tab for available dates and reservation information.)
- Hunting Allowed - Upland Hunting / Wetland Hunting / Forest Hunting
Hunting Restrictions--Deer and turkey hunting are not allowed in Thorpe Park. Waterfowl hunting is not allowed on Thorpe Park's Lake Catherine. View boundaries.
- Fishing - Lake (15 acres)
- Fish structure locations:
- N 43.257479 lat./W-93.758002 long
- N 43.257405 lat./W-93.758247 long.
- N 43.256008 lat./W-93.758550 long
- N 43.255931 lat./W-93.757970 long
- N 43.255787 lat./W-93.757895 long
- Camping - Electric Sites (13 sites-$12/night), Non-Electric Sites (2 sites-$8/night) (The Thorpe Park campground is closed for the season.)
- Boating Allowed - Canoeing / Electric Motors Only
- Picnicking - Picnic Tables / Grills / Open Shelter
- Water - Drinking Water / Pit Toilets (Drinking water is shut off for the season.)
- Special Notes - Playground, Geocache, Cabin, Northland Interpretive Nature Trail
Located 5 1/2 miles west of Forest City on "I"/345th Street34496 110th Ave.
Forest City, IA