Prescription Drop Boxes
Drug drop-off boxes are located at the Winnebago County Sheriff's Office, Mercy Clinics in Buffalo Center and Forest City.
The drop-off boxes are a safe way to discard expired or unwanted prescription medications and are available 24 hours every day. Medication may be dropped off anonymously; no contact with staff is necessary.
How to Dispose of Medication
- Check that bottle caps are secure
- Deposit in the drop-off container
Please do not deposit the following:
- Biohazard items
- Pen medications
Why Drop Off Unused Medications?
- It's a good way to combat and prevent prescription drug abuse.
- Unused, unwanted, or expired prescription medications are a public safety issue, leading to accidental poisoning, overdose, and abuse.
- Unused prescription drugs thrown in the trash can be retrieved and abused or illegally sold.
- Unused drugs that are flushed contaminate the water supply. Proper disposal of unused drugs saves lives and protects the environment.
- Pharmaceutical drugs can be just as dangerous as street drugs when taken without a prescription or a doctor’s supervision.
- The non-medical use of prescription drugs ranks second only to marijuana as the most common form of drug abuse in America.
- The majority of teenagers abusing prescription drugs get them from family and friends — and the home medicine cabinet.