Welcome to the Winnebago County Treasurer’s Office
Julie Swenson, County Treasurer
126 S Clark St, STE 4
Forest City, IA 50436
Tax Dept. – 641-585-2322
Auto Dept. – 641-585-4430
Drivers’ License Dept. – 641-585-5387
Office hours: – Mon – Fri. 8:00 – 4:30
Last transactions will be at 4:00
Driver’s License and Auto Department – by appointment only
Drive test – by appointment only
To adhere to social distancing guidelines we encourage that property tax and vehicle registration payments be mailed or paid online.
As we try to keep you and our staff safe, we hope to provide as much assistance as possible through our website. We strive to provide courteous, professional service to our customers and will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have. If you are unable to find the information you need, please do not hesitate to contact our office by phone or email with any questions or comments you may have. Use the contact information listed above.
If you need to visit us at the Court House, you will need a facemask and an appointment.
Property tax payments can be made online at: Iowa State County Treasurers Association – Property Tax
When you mail your payment in, please include the tax stubs. If you need a receipt for taxes, send a self-address envelope along with your payment.
Reminder: Auto Department closes daily at 4:00. You need to call for an appointment.
Bill of sale is required on all purchases. Must include description of vehicle, sale price, date of sale, and be signed by seller and buyer.
Click here for Bill of Sale form
Vehicle registrations can be made online at: Iowa State County Treasurer’s Association – Vehicle Registration
Please note: you are not eligible to renew online unless you received a renewal notice that contains a PIN number. Your vehicle does not qualify for online renewal if the registration requires proof of insurance (SR) or if any state debts are owed.
When mailing in for your vehicle registrations include the renewal notice you received in the mail to assure we can find the correct vehicles.
Reminder: Drivers License closes daily at 4:00. You need to call for an appointment
You may renew you driver’s license 30 days before your birthday and up to 60 days after.
For the REALID you will need: certified birth certificate or a valid passport, documents on name change(marriage, divorce, court order etc) you will need your social security card or a 1099 or W2 that will show the full number, your current driver’s license and proof of address (if you have moved you need 2 proofs of current address) for more information: iowadot.gov/mvd/realid
The Responsibilities of the Treasurer’s Office:
The Treasurer is responsible for collection of taxes and other fees for state, county, city, school districts, community colleges, and other taxing bodies such as townships, fire districts, and drainage districts, and city specials. The office collects and accounts for all funds coming into the county from the various departments.
- Custodian of all county funds
- Investments of County Funds
- Financial Administrator, banking, cash management,
- Preparing and mailing annual tax statements
- Property Tax Collections, including drainage, mobile homes, city specials
- Administers the Iowa Property Tax Credit Programs
- Distributes all state credits to taxing bodies
- Tax apportionment to all taxing bodies and other government agencies
- Prepares and conducts the annual tax sale for the collection of delinquent taxes
- Balance financial records
- Collects and receipts all other county office fees
- Pays all county warrants drawn by County Auditor
- Pays on Stamped Drainage Warrants
- Makes semi-annual and annual reports to Board of Supervisors
- Issues Motor Vehicle titles, registrations and collects all other vehicle fees
- Collects the Use Tax on motor vehicle transactions for the Department of Revenue
- Collects the 2290 filings for the Road Use Tax Fund
- Issues drivers’ licenses, Identification cards, duplicate licenses, handicap devices,
- Issues State and County Special Identification cards
- Administers written and driving tests, re-exams and line drives, vision and medical reports.
- Serves the community
Iowa State County Treasurer’s Association website: www.iowatreasurers.org
Forms and Links:
Motor Vehicle Forms:
Driver License Forms and Manuals:
Winnebago County GIS: