Winnebago County Veterans Affairs assists honorably discharged veterans and eligible dependents in applying for county, state, and federal veterans benefits. Assistance is provided in filling out a large array of VA forms and referrals at no cost to veterans and their dependents. Veterans need to be Winnebago County residents to request temporary emergency county assistance with basic needs that meet county guidelines.
Our office works with the federal VA and Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs to inform veterans of various benefits which they are eligible. These include but are not limited to:
- VA HealthCare Benefit enrollment
- Compensation for service connected disability
- Pension for non-service connected disability
- Surviving spouse/dependent children benefits
- Aid & Attendance for nursing home and housebound
- Appeals on unfavorable VA rulings
- Obtaining DD214 & military records
- Burial benefits
- Application to the Iowa Veteran’s Home
Veterans Affairs Commissioners
The Commission meets monthly, normally on the third Wednesday of the month.
Office is open by appointment only Tuesday-Thursday 8:30-4:30.
Office location & mailing address:
Winnebago County Veterans Affairs
216 South 4th Street
Forest City, IA 50436