A MARRIAGE LICENSE – The parties to wed & one witness may come into the County Recorder’s Office to apply. If you are unable to come into the office, call (641) 585-2094 or email [email protected] and we will mail out an application to you. The cost is $35.00 with a 3 day waiting period. If you need a 3-day waiver, there is an additional cost of $5.00 and must be signed by a judge. We accept cash, check, or credit card (requires a small fee).

A PASSPORT – The person filling out the application for a first time Passport must apply in person, or a child must be accompanied by their guardians unless a consent form is brought in.

Fill out the form and bring it in person to the Recorder’s Office located on the 2nd floor at 126 S Clark St. Forest City. Apply or Renew your Passport at

Additional information about Passport Services is available on the Recorder’s page.

A BUILDING PERMIT – Fill out the application and return it to the Zoning department at the Courthouse, 126 S Clark St. Forest City. Please visit our Zoning page for more information.

Please visit our Zoning page to download the zoning form.

A JOB – Check for open positions on our Employment page.

HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION – Contact the Assessor’s Office at (641) 585-2163 or at [email protected]. You can also visit the Winnebago County Beacon Website

A FIREWORKS PERMIT – Fill out the Permit Application and return it to the Auditor’s Office located on the 2nd floor at 126 S Clark St.

FAMILY FARM TAX CREDIT – Fill out the application and return it to the Assessor’s office located on the 1st floor at 126 S Clark St.  Here’s more information about Farm Family Tax Credit.

ABSENTEE BALLOT – Fill out the form and return it to the Auditor’s Office located at 126 S Clark St. Forest City.

AUCTIONEER’S LICENSE – Fill out the form and return it to the Auditor’s office. The license must be signed by the Auditor.

CIGARETTE PERMIT – Fill out the form and return it to the Auditor’s Office. The permit must be put on the Agenda for the Board of Supervisors to approve.

CLAIM FORM – Fill out the claim form and return it to the Auditor’s Office



HUNTING & FISHING LICENSES – Stop in at the Recorder’s Office or call (641) 585-2094


PROPERTY TAXES ONLINE – You can pay your property taxes online at

For more information visit the Winnebago County Treasurer’s page.

PAY CRIMINAL FINES ONLINE – You can pay your criminal fines online at

MY VEHICLE – To register your vehicle you will need to contact:
Motor Vehicle Division at (641) 585-2322 or email at [email protected].
You can also visit the Treasurer’s website at

BOAT, ATV, OFF-ROAD, or SNOWMOBILE – to register a new or used boat, we will need to have a bill of sale and a MSO, if it’s new. If it’s used we will need a bill of sale signed by the seller, registration, and a title signed over by the previous owner. (Boats under 17 feet do not need a title.) You can either send in your renewal by mail or come into the Recorder’s Office. For more information contact the Recorder’s Office at (641) 585-2094 or email at [email protected]

TO VOTE – Fill out the voter registration form and return it to the Auditor’s Office 126 S Clark St. Forest City, Ia 50436

ON COUNTY BOARDS & COMMISSIONS – Application form for Boards and Commissions

AS A PRECINCT ELECTION OFFICIAL – Fill out the Precinct Election Official and return it to the Auditor’s Office 126 S Clark St. Forest City.